Adding another CMU for solar

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by wappinghigh, Nov 29, 2011.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

I know a couple of guys on this thread have done this :)

Ive just signed to put in a 3kw Solar system? Our usual daily load is between 1.5-3.5kw/hr during the day rising to more at peak loads in evening.

I already have one CMU monitoring 4 household circuits. With a 5th total meter. I love this product. I will be switching to a peak/off peak tarrif.

I am aware of the restriction on history of measurements and widget restriction to a total of 5 with the wiser at the moment, so my question is:

How should I set up a second CMU to get the most out of monitoring the solar, and what solar circuits should I monitor? And what would be the setup on the Wiser (without history graphs? ) Any other workarounds or suggestions would be appreciated. It will be a grid fed system.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
    wappinghigh, Nov 29, 2011
  2. wappinghigh

SBL

Have a go at solar power optimisation

Just a concept, but you could monitor the solar power output and regulate loads in response. Such as hot water, your pool pump maybe, things that are not immediately critical. And match your actual consumption to the availability of solar power.
    Also you could fit azimuth pan and tilt actuators to the panel mounting, measure the output voltage, and use C-Bus to optimise the positioning of the panel array - to track the sun and get more hours of power out of it.
    You might be able to put some predictive logic in there to have C-Bus take a punt on whether today will be a good solar day (or cloudy), and program in a 'make hay while the sun shines' level of intelligence - maybe by doing something clever with your pool system, any HVAC or if your really adventerous, hack into your refrigeration appliance controls. Not out of the box stuff but a good demo of C-Bus, solar and energy efficiency innovation

SBL, Nov 29, 2011
  3. wappinghigh

Charlie Crackle

My SMA inverter has a relay output that you can configure to do various things. I configured to notify me on 3kw Production. if the unit has been making 3Kw or over for 30 minutes it lets you know.

This then sends an announcement via Phone Interface over Matrix Audio and then turns off unnecessary lighting to maximise the return to grid.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 29, 2011
Ask a Question