Add wireless to 6 year old C-Bus system

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jjdnyc, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jjdnyc

jjdnyc

Guys

I have just joined the forums. I am a complete newbie to c-bus but I am reasonably technical. And, yes, (since I know this is coming) I am sufficently technical to use the search tool - but to no avail in this instance. So...

I have just moved into a new (to me) house in Sydney. It is about 6 years old and has what I think is a fairly extensive Cbus system. It has more than 100 switches (DLT's?) as well as one b&w touch screen. But, it only controls blinds and lights - no HVAC, sounds or camera control.

I want to do three things:

1) I want to remap some of the light switch assignments - I don't think they all make sense. Can I do this myself if I buy the right interface or can I get someone to do it for me for a reasonable cost?

2) There is only one "scene" programmed to the touchscreen - "goodnight" - its shuts down the whole house. I want some more scenes like "evening", "75%", "upstairs off" etc. Again, can I do this and if not how much to have someone do it?

and, most importantly:

3) I want to know whether I can add wireless control (I think via a CNI and a Wiser?) to an existing, 6 year old system. (I do not yet know what system hardware I have but I will find out).

Phase 2 will be for me to extend the system to control HVAC etc, Hurlcon heating/ filtration for the pool, but for now I need to stop the bleeding since I just bought the house.

Any tips or links to useful threads would be very much appreciated.

r

JD

jjdnyc, Aug 16, 2010
  2. jjdnyc

NickD Moderator

Hi, and Welcome.

Yes, there is no reason you can't do this yourself. 100 switches is quite a lot, so it probably means you have multiple networks.

You will need an interface into the system... if you have a touchscreen then there is one already, but since your installation is 6 years old then chances are it's the Mk1, so will need the serial programming cable for it.. it would have come with one, so hopefully the previous owner/installer left it with the system. You will also need this cable to reprogram your touchscreen. You also need access to the back of the touchscreen for this.. some installers fit the cable in the wall and mount the connector on a nearby wallplate for this reason.

Alternatively.. if you're thinking about getting a Wiser, this would give you an interface into C-Bus (you'll still want the serial cable to reprogram the touchscreen though).

Once you have an interface, you'll need the software, called Toolkit, which is free. You can download the latest version from the downloads page.

It should be quite easy to add more scenes in the touchscreen. You can then reprogram keys on your switches to trigger the scenes in the touchscreen remotely.

To create a touchscreen project, you need the PICED software (also free, download it from the same place as Toolkit).

PICED does take a little while to get the hang of.. because there's a lot you can do with it. There are heaps of example projects, templates etc, as well as extensive help files.

If you have the original PICED project files, then editing the project should be simple... if not, you can transfer the project back from the touchscreen (with the cable), but you won't be able to edit *everything* in the same way that you could if you had the original files.

If all you want to do is add a few scenes then this might be adequate... if you want to do more extensive modifications then you may find that creating your own project from scratch gives you a better result.

When you say "wireless control" I assume you mean control from a portable device like an iPhone or web tablet?

If so, you can quite easily add a Wiser, and it should be perfectly fine with your existing hardware. The Wiser comes with its own CNI, so you don't need a separate one.

Depending on the mobile device you want to connect with, it may or may not be supported. The native Wiser UI is via a web browser and requires Flash... if the browser/device doesn't support this, then it requires a dedicated app... there are dedicated apps for iPhone and various Nokia devices.

HVAC can be tricky, depending on the level of control you want. Probably a separate discussion.

Probably the best way forward from here is to just download Toolkit and PICED and have a play... then come back when you have more questions :)

HTH,

Nick

NickD, Aug 16, 2010
  3. jjdnyc

jjdnyc

Wow

Wow thanks for the thorough (and speedy) reply. Really appreciate it. The previous owners did not leave me a serial cable (I wonder whether they ever had it) so I will need to get one (and I will need to pull the touchscreen out to use). Is there a good source in Oz for buying things like the cable?

As to the wireless control, yes I am talking about iPhone/ iPad using apps. Can I just buy a Wiser router or is it all locked up with installers/ systems integrators? If I can buy one, again any suggestions/ links?

jjdnyc, Aug 16, 2010
  4. jjdnyc

NickD Moderator

Hmm... good question... it's possible it was only ever provided with the touchscreen, so you may not even be able to order it separately.

The pinouts are listed here... if you want to try to make your own... the quickest way, if you have the right tools, would be just to buy a normal DB9 serial cable (probably < $10 at Jaycar or the like), cut the end off, and crimp on an RJ45.

It used to be restricted to pointOne integrators, however I have heard it is available more widely now... try asking your local electrical wholesaler. From memory the part number is 5200PG.

Nick

NickD, Aug 16, 2010
Ask a Question