Accessing Colour C-Touch remotely

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by rfordyce, Apr 18, 2006.

1. rfordyce

rfordyce

Has anyone had any success accessing a Colour C-Touch via windows remote desktop (Terminal Services)

I have connected a C-Touch to a local network that is accessible to the web. I am trying to find out if anyone has tried using windows RDP to control C-BUS this way remotely, if so with what success.

rfordyce, Apr 18, 2006
  2. rfordyce

gonzales

Here in mexico i have used long stick to poke at the screen.

I not sure if it go very well in network plug.

gonzales, Apr 18, 2006
  3. rfordyce

rfordyce

I can see the C-Touch on the network, no problem, just need to know if anyone has tried access by RDP and if there were any issues.

Mouse control will come from the remote computer (don't need to have a mouse on the computer being accessed).

rfordyce, Apr 20, 2006
  4. rfordyce

ashleigh Moderator

Remote desktop is not supported in the CTC.

ashleigh, Apr 20, 2006
  5. rfordyce

coppo

remote connect to colour ctouch

What you would typically need to do is setup a VPN connection with suitable security access
    ( which in itself would best be done via broadband and a static IP address),
    to allow you to have remote access to your network.

The touchscreen would then see you as connected to the local ethernet network.

=====================================

coppo, Apr 20, 2006
  6. rfordyce

JohnC

We're much more advanced here in Australia - we use a mobile phone to tell someone else to poke the stick for us !

--------------------------

I have had good success with remote controlling Homegate via VNC, which is probably easier to set up than VPN (dead easy in fact).

If you could VNC to a machine on the local network (to the CTC) you could easily control it.

Only complication is knowing what IP to use...

JC

PS: I always wanted to write some code that would use a Dynamic DNS client (on the remote box) to advise what the machine's (current) IP was to a remote server, then by interrogating that server via a HTTP request you could determine the IP for your target machine automatically (make sense?)... anyway, someone probably has done that by now.

JohnC, Apr 20, 2006
  7. rfordyce

Ross

There are many dynamic DNS clients out there. One of the better ones is no-ip.com

Ross, Apr 20, 2006
  8. rfordyce

ashleigh Moderator

Loading additional software into a CTC will invalidate all CIS warranties.

Remote desktop is not supported, and VNC is not either. Neither are loaded as part of the O/S image.

ashleigh, Apr 20, 2006
  9. rfordyce

MichaelCarey

My suggestion would be to allow a ServerX connection the CTC, similar to the way ServerX talks to HomeGate.
    I've mentioned this in another post, this is the one thing stopping me from installing a CTC in my own home.
    I don't want to spend thousands and not be able to access it while I am away from home!! I'm sticking with HomeGate for now.

MichaelCarey, Apr 20, 2006
Ask a Question