Abnormal behaviour of Output units on generator supply!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sameen Shahid, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Sameen Shahid

Sameen Shahid

HI!

I would like to know Why output units behave strange on generator supply? I live in a country where most of the time we are switching to generators or UPS due to frequent electric failures. When power fails and generator starts some of the output units they switch ON certain channels. Not all dimmers and relays do that but only some of them are problematic. I have checked all neo s assocaited with those channels/groups their power restore option is set on previous level still they switch on regardless of their off state before failure. :( One of the clients is v unhappy becaue his garden lights switches ON at 4am at night, if elec failure occurs and generator is on. However no channel switches ON if power COMES back and system gets refrehed, it doesnt show any abnormal behaviour on normal supply. Client has to get up at an odd hours to switch off lights again. Cannot remove and replace these relays and dimmers . Kindly advise how to solve this issue??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
    Sameen Shahid, Sep 12, 2008
  2. Sameen Shahid

______.

You could try running the C-Bus power supplies through a UPS which should filter the power fluctuation when the generator is starting up and running.

______., Sep 13, 2008
  3. Sameen Shahid

ICS-GS

or check in the RECOVERY tab of your output modules... this addresses how each channel 're-starts' after power failure.

ICS-GS, Sep 14, 2008
  4. Sameen Shahid

zip_cool

maybe its due to the frequency of the generator.

zip_cool, Sep 15, 2008
  5. Sameen Shahid

NickD Moderator

When you observe that these outputs have turned on after such an event... do the indicators on the key units that control these loads match the state of the output? ie is the network in sync and just in the wrong state, or are the outputs and inputs out of sync?

What models do you have and what voltage/frequency is your generator running at?

Nick

NickD, Sep 15, 2008
  6. Sameen Shahid

Sameen Shahid

Still not sure

Thanks everyone for your replies.

UPS is expensive solution and really hard to convince client to spend that much more to run our system smooth. Also Will have to check carefully before suggesting about UPS.what if it will behave same with that too.:confused:

About frequency will try to adjust and match with normal line frequency on generator n will see how output units responses after that.

And also will check if network is in sync when problem occurs or not..will get back to u after checking all these possibilities.

As far as recovery tab is concerned all groups are checked and sliders are on N/C for that particular problematic output unit.

Sameen Shahid, Sep 16, 2008
  7. Sameen Shahid

Ramesh Babu

Abnormal behaviour of the C-Bus network

Dear Shahid,

Did you got the solution for your issue.?

I am also facing a same issue ... Please suggest me the solution if you have.

Thanks in advance.

Ramesh Babu, Jul 3, 2012
  8. Sameen Shahid

Gallo

Hi,

First time poster and relatively new to Cbus. I look after a major dept store chain who are rolling out Cbus with store refurbs. An issue i encountered was during generator self testing utilising an automatic transfer switch i found that the cbus would not restore lighting levels after changeover of power. The restore box was checked in programming. The solution i came up with to rectify was that i found if the changeover from main to generator power was within 2 seconds of each other then it would cause the issue. I added a time delay of 5 seconds between change over and it rectified this problem. i havent had an issue since. I am currently going to new refurbed sites adding this extra time delay and seems to be working. hope this is of help.

Gallo, Oct 23, 2014
Ask a Question