A-V control within wiser (please be kind!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Jun 5, 2009.

1. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Viera-link seems to be appearing in a few places, its from Panasonic. But its not universal.

There are attempts to make some control protocol thingy on HDMI into a universal standard. I looked at it. Its huge, complex, horrible, and relies on routing and knowing the topology of your equipment. (In other words, its complex and it sucks).

Oh, and the HDMI standard thing is a moving feast - changes have just been announced for it. Maybe in 5 years time there will be a standard. Maybe.

Apart from that, there is no consistent way of doing things, apart from blasting IR. And you can use cbus and wiser for that. It needs an IR output unit, and some programming. Yuk, but possible, and universal.

ashleigh, Jun 13, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

"Viera Link" is Panasonic's implementation of HDMI-CEC. Samsung call it "Anynet", Sony call it "Bravia Link"... everyone calls it something different.

On the plus side, it is defined as part of the HDMI standard. On the minus side, it appears there is scope for manufacturer specific behaviour, and it's up to the manufacturers as to what level of features they support.

I have a Panasonic plasma, Panasonic blu-ray player, and an Onkyo receiver with HDMI switching... they all play nicely together... the TV and the blu-ray player can control the receiver volume, and if the system is all off, you can put a disc in the player and hit play, and it turns everything on and selects the right input on the receiver and TV.... so there is hope that this may extend across other manufacturers as well.

Yeah... up until they announced HDMI 1.4 a few weeks ago, I thought it looked like HDMI-CEC might become a good standard for controlling linked AV gear.... now as far as I can tell they have screwed it all up and defined multiple new cable/connector standards, included ethernet (maybe at the expense of the CEC channel - there is no detail yet that I can find, but they seem to have added more features onto less wires... so something has to go) :(

Nick

NickD, Jun 15, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Ok...after an exhausting search...

Ok I am back revisiting this thread. The Wiser interface is fantastic! It's made a huge positive impact how I use cbus. But I still think the Wiser interface has real potential as part of a Home theatre setup (All controlled on the one touchscreen device)...particularly through the Windows Media center plugin. So some more questions...

1/ Why couldn't a basic Wiser home theatre control setup be done with a couple of eclipse IR devices and some wiser logic to run macro's....eg "turn on TV" "turn on DVD" etc...in addition..

2/ Why not run Windows Media Centre on a touch screen PC device...with a IR capable plugin (eg Homseer) controlling say global cache (for home theatre control) and the CIS Wiser plugin for everything clipsal...

3/ What particular additional "Wiser" compatible gear is planned for release?...any hints would be greatly appreciated. :)..one wouldn't want to go out and blow $30,000 on an competitors based system that ends up doing exactly the same thing now would one....:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 21, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

That's feasible. The Wiser media-centre plugin is just a media centre plugin, so if you can run media centre on your device (or if your device can view the media centre UI via remote desktop, etc) and the device running the plugin has connectivity to your Wiser, then everything ought to work fine.

kjayakumar, Jun 22, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

You can use a cbus Infra-Red output unit to control all your AV gear (provided they are controlled by IR).

This has been done for many years by the home theatre integrators.

And the latest CIRCA for commissioning it supports macros as well, so your actions can be very complex indeed.

ashleigh, Jun 22, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

nickrusanov

I meant that it would be nice to have an intercom feature within Wiser interface. it's easy to do whithin the same local network

nickrusanov, Jun 22, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thank Ashleigh...

Then a Wiser might not be such a bad A/V controller after all:)

I've sorted Q/1 and 2/

Don't suppose a hint re question 3 could be answered.

Are there any specific plans for better AV integration here?

perhaps..an IP addressable NIRT that could be networked via normal cat5 cable, or the ability of the Wiser to see straight into the NIRT for example...or is this again limited by the spead of data trasmitted via cbus....?;)

wappinghigh, Jun 22, 2009
  8. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Investigate the NIRT. It's a cbus device. Wiser talks cbus. No need for IP. The NIRT blasts IR codes out. Program it with the codes you want to sent. Set up cbus triggers for those codes. Program wiser to issue triggers.

ashleigh, Jun 22, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

XHPBT1

i have read this whole forum and my conclusion is have Wiser control all IR devices such as TV, DVD, 5.1 system, Matrix to control in room audio through wiser...

is this correct in what i am saying?

sorry for my basic questions as i am fresh as they come for installers....

cheers

XHPBT1, Sep 10, 2009
  10. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

Sort of... the IR stuff is done through the 5034NIRT IR transmitter, or the Matrix Switcher (which actually has the guts of a 5034NIRT built in). You can use Wiser to control the Matrix switcher (eg select a "Watch DVD" scene, which tells the NIRT in the Matrix switcher to send out all the IR commands to turn on your AV gear etc), and to select/control MRA zones/sources/volumes etc.

No problem... you've got to start somewhere.. although this is jumping in at the deep end :)

Also be aware that the Wiser is available only through pointOne integrators... hopefully you will be able to find one who will work with you on this. If this is for your own home they may allow you a bit more leeway... if it were me I wouldn't want to be learning about this myself on a customer's site though.

Nick

NickD, Sep 10, 2009
  11. wappinghigh

XHPBT1

thankyou very much for the fast reply i have contact with a point one he is helping me greatly with hardware advice as i have 2 massive jobs on my shoulders :D which i am loving...:D

Im doing hrs and hrs of research to find out whats the Best mix for a house that has everything intergrated with each other... trying to find a 1 device that will control everything! TV's Wall PC's Aircons Intercomms in room audio etc..

thanks again

XHPBT1, Sep 10, 2009
Ask a Question