A simpler thermostat widget.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Is there a simpler thermostat widget for use within wiser.

Seems a no brainer as everyone on this forum is aware HVAC control is so complicated when using the 12v or 24v CIS thermostat relay control.

What I want to do is keep my current thermostats as they are. They will run the heating cooling control and set points etc as normal. But I want to add a few CIS Tstats to broadcast zone temps onto my network. I'll switch the devices on/off using 240v cbus relays, either manually of using additional logic.

So I need a much simpler widget. No fans or set points etc. Just one with temp and ability to drag in additional 240V cbus relay control built in.

Is there such a widget?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 12, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

Conformist

Wappinghigh, I need to ask you something. How many systems have you installed and how many do you intend to install in say the next 12 months? I'm trying to weight your many requests for feature enhancements.

Approximate numbers will do.

Thanks

Conformist, Jun 12, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Sure.

4/5 of way through large renovation

Installed:

1/ Large domestic Cbus. Lighting and relays only. No touchscreens. Logic controlled by a PACU. New Wiser.
    2/ 8 zone Sonos for Audio
    3/ 4 TV zones (including 1 Home Theatre) with networked Beyonwiz's and apple mac mini's for internet. Foxtel.
    4/ cbus integrated security via Concept 4000, controlled via SMS.
    5/ express6, 6 zone analog to IP video camera server
    6/ Cat5/6 Mac network

Planned:

1/ Some sort of decent way of controlling the AV and Home theatre via IR or serial. Looked at Pronto's/C4/AMX/Switch Automation/Global Cache
    2/ Decent TStat integration into cbus
    3/ Some way to bring the control of all of above onto ONE platform........:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

Conformist

So one? And is this your own home?

Conformist, Jun 12, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

You got it

Just as passionate about home auto as you...but coming at it from a completely different angle....

but maybe more what a home user ACTUALLY WANTS....not what the industry THINKS the customer wants....:) I mean how much does the industry really know their market? Mine is robustly tested on a family of 5 females, and what works soon gets used and what doesn't soon gets forgotten....

I've installed product groups that I feel are dominant within their own individual space: Each group is loved by the householders...

...now just planning to put them all together...

...I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with similar feelings either.....

6. wappinghigh

Conformist

Good to see you have passion

Hmmm can't agree with you on the 'what the home owner actually wants' part. Your segment is very much an early adopter segment. It's not mainstream but may become so depending on technology developments.

I like you have similar interests, but they are not mainstream (yet... and possibly may not become). This part of the market is still very immature. Wiser is in a much more mainstream segment of the market and must observe mass market requirements and not fringe requirements... sorry.

By all means, continue to find suitable products for your needs (such as AMX, Crestron etc) but don't expect Wiser to move into this space until/if the market matures. You may well find different technology crops up before this eventuates.

Conformist, Jun 12, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Ok>>

Umm Thanks. Now would you mind helping me with the original question ?:)

Wanting to control my heating and cooling using simple 240V relays and a broadcasted ambient temperature (without all the hastle of messing with the HVAC units 12/24 V relays directly, coolmasters, and complicated wiring diagrams etc) ..sure is more mainstream and easier to do than trying to take over each and every heating and coolings thermostat directly....

...so how about a simpler thermostat widget??:D

8. wappinghigh

Conformist

Why don't you just use a SystemIO widget to display your temperature and control your relays through logic?

Conformist, Jun 12, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks for clue...!

I'll definitely look at that...

...but what is the "More" section within the thermostat widget for?

thanks for tip!:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question