A for sale section?? IM after some PINK CAT 5 e doe sit have to be pink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MR shood, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MR shood

MR shood

any one got some left overs?
    about to do my first install of cat 5
    need it to be all up to specas so im aftter some pink cat5

can anyone help me out?
    does it have to be pink!?

MR shood, Jun 4, 2008
  2. MR shood

ashleigh Moderator

To meet the wiring rules, the Clipsal cable must be used. And it is pink.

If you use other cables, the cbus system may work but your installation won't meet the wiring rules. If you get inspected you may have to do it again.

Spend the $ to do it right first time. Its MUCH cheaper in the long run.

ashleigh, Jun 4, 2008
  3. MR shood

MR shood

thanks for the heads up ash
    where do i source it from and is there any way of finding members selling?

MR shood, Jun 4, 2008
  4. MR shood

filpee

Majority of Electrical Wholesalers I'm sure will happily sell you a box full.

Where are you located? there maybe someone here on these forums close by that can spare a couple of meters.

filpee, Jun 4, 2008
  5. MR shood

znelbok

I don't believe that that is actually a true statement and can be misleading, especially since you didn't outline why.

To meet the wiring rules, the cat5 must be rated at the highest voltage in the enclosure - and that is 230VAC (when used with output units), so really any cat5 that meets that requirement could be used.

If Clipsal are the only ones making cat5 with that sheath rating then it is the only cable that can be used, but if others exist then I cant see why a different brand of cable can be used.

It is easier to use Clipsals Cat5 because it is a unique colour and very easy to identify against any other cat5.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 5, 2008
  6. MR shood

Conformist

Hi Mick

A number of years ago, I was "lucky" enough to have an electrical audit on one of my projects. I had use cat6 cable (instructed by the home owner who only wanted cat 6... no cat5) through the whole installation, with the exception of within the electrical switchboard where I used pink Cat5. The inspector claimed that I had not installed the system in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and therefore the installation did not comply. I had to get in writing from Clipsal that the Cat6 cable was ok. I must highlight that Clipsal helped out, but if I was being cheap (just using blue cat5 to save a few cents), I'm sure Clipsal would not have been so accommodating.

Therefore..... use pink cat5! In hindsight, I would have gone to all lengths to talk the customer out of the overkill that was cat6 for C-Bus and the issue is caused.

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 5, 2008
  7. MR shood

Matthew

C-Bus For Sale

Hi Mr Shood
    If you enter your location in your profile, local people may be more likely to assist you. Try Ebay, often dimmers and switches are offered for sale there although not sure about cable, probabally not due to the weight and cost of shipping.
    If you are going to do a job or your house then you will need the best part of a roll, you will be supprised how much you use. Simplest answer is to buy a box from an Electrical wholesaler approx $150+GST for 305m box part number 5005C305B.
    If you need a sample piece for some reason ask you local Clipsal C-Bus rep.
    And to confirm what everyone else said, it's got to be the clipsal pink as it is the only one with mains rated sheathing.
    Regards Matthew

Matthew, Jun 5, 2008
  8. MR shood

ashleigh Moderator

OK.
    I was trying to give a very simple answer.

Here is the more complex answer.

To meet the wiring rules, you must have an isolation on the cable sheath of 3750V WHEN THE CBUS CABLE GOES INSIDE A MAINS WIRING CABINET.

In other words, to maintain the integrity of SELV (Safety Extra Low Voltage, which is C-Bus) when you run SELV inside a cabinet where mains in present, you must have 3750V isolation.

The Clipsal cable is rated to 3750V.

Other Cat5 cables are not (typically they are rated to 500V to 1000V).

You CAN run any old cable you want to OUTSIDE OF THE CABINETS (WHICH HAVE MAINS INSIDE). But you MUST use the Clipsal cable INSIDE the cabinet or you won't meet the wiring rules.

If you don't use the Clipsal cable, then you are saving a few $ and making your life more difficult in the process. If you want to do that, fine, but don't whinge if things get harder and cost more in the long run.

ashleigh, Jun 5, 2008
  9. MR shood

MR shood

thanks for the deedback guys
    i also had another post up regarding Downlights
    what sort wattage dimmable etc etc.
    i have a simple, (8 Channel Dimmer with Power Supply L5508D1A)
    and am wondering about the nitty gritty of it?
    ie how many downlights to channel etc
    any help would be good

MR shood, Jun 5, 2008
  10. MR shood

Matthew

Downlights

Hi Mr Shood
    There is no answer to your question, as there are so many variables :cool: , But generally 4 x 50w per 1A channel if you use the right transformers.
    Try using the search function on the top toolbar, put in downlights and you will find a heap of info, especially those by John C, he is the guru on these.
    Also on Clipsal's website, there is info on electronic transformer compatibility, link here for you, http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/technical_support/newsletters_and_faq/transformers
    Matthew

Matthew, Jun 12, 2008
Ask a Question