5753PEIRL Light Level Target setting

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Keemin, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Keemin

Keemin

Hi,

Is there anyway to alter the Light Level Target setting of a PEIRL besides using the C-Bus tool kit or assigning it to one of the PEIRL Pots?

I can't find anything written about it here on the forums, and no mention of it in the training manual either.

i.e A multipurpose room that I could write different lux levels for depending on the activity the room is used for. For some high precision work it would be set for a high level which would be maintained day or night, as tubes age and their light output decreases etc. Other activities would have a lower target level.

I want to use a closed loop system so if there is plenty of ambient light around the fittings will be dimmed right down, as the tubes age the level remains consistent rather than using a % of maximum light output. The Lux level at xx% today wont be the same as it will be in 12 months time etc. xy% might be wasteful if there's plenty of ambient light coming in through the windows and skylights etc.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Keemin, Mar 11, 2010
  2. Keemin

Don

Yes, there may be a way, depending on the firmware version of the sensor you are using.

The most recently made ones with firmware versions in the range 2.1.00 and higher should be able to be configured to do what you want:

Using Toolkit, follow the procedure below, in order!

1) in the global tab, set a pot that you don't need for anything else and select 'block timer adjust' as the function, and the group you want to control the light threshold with should be selected on the associated block
    2) apply the change to the physical unit

* the object of the first two steps is to configure the BLOCK (and associated group) used to control the light level*

3) in the global tab again, for the same pot you configured to adjust timers, change the function only to 'light level & sunset adjust' .
    4) in the light level tab, set the Target value to 0 (zero)
    5) apply the change to the physical unit

* a Target level of 0 is obviously not useful, so the unit takes this value as a flag to turn on the feature to allow the threshold to be adjusted over the network*

Note that the order of operations is required, so this feature can not be programmed in the database view and then downloaded to units.

This is a hidden feature (an Easter Egg, if you like) in the PEIRL units, and is not fully supported in Toolkit (yet). In fact, you are the first person I have come across who has requested this functionality. I have tested this with Toolkit V 1.10., but I can't guarantee that it will work in other versions.

If this works for you, please keep us informed. I hope you don't mind doing a bit of testing for us!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    Don, Mar 12, 2010
  3. Keemin

Keemin

Thanks very much for that Don, it's appreciated.

I'll definitely post back up when I have tested it. The job has just reached the rough-in stage, so it'll be a few weeks before it happens.

I guess the beauty of it is, is that it doesn't affect the installation and the room will still be very useable whether it works first go or not.

Keemin, Mar 14, 2010
  4. Keemin

SBL

Set and Get Unit parameter commands & target light level

Hi Guys,

Interesting dialogue, I am looking at wanting to do something similar myself. The Multisensors I have available are firmware versions 2.0.00 so perhaps I am too late for the easter egg.

One thing I was looking at doing, although I haven't fully worked through the logic functions yet to see if I am on the right track or not - let alone actually tested anything;

- Using the getUnitParameter and setUnitParameter commands - or something like it;

- To retrieve the current light level measurement
    - And then return this value to the light level sensor as its new target light level.

If anyone knows whether the getUnitParameter and setUnitParameter commands are capable of doing this I would be greatful for some pointers or perhaps even a copy of some syntax/logic using these statements with a multisensor.

Why I am thinking of trying to do this is partly because I am looking for a way to dynamically adjust target light levels in general, and partly to emulate some of the workings of a cars cruise control system, and partly maybe to elliminate some of the coding which might otherwise be involved translating raw input light level data to some form of calibrated absolute value of lux level.

Any comments, observations or pointers appreciated.

Regards

SBL

SBL, Mar 31, 2010
  5. Keemin

Newman

All existing PIR's and light level sensor products have no official way of adjusting their target light level on-the-fly.

If you really want to do this, you could configure the unit to broadcast the current light level on a group address and then write your own light level maintenance algorithm in logic.

Newman, Mar 31, 2010
Ask a Question