5753PEIRL Combine PIR/Movement/Light

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by furlong, Apr 29, 2005.

1. furlong

furlong

Anyone know how many cbus cables it is ok to terminate in the back of a 5753? I want to use these as a backbone for the cabling with spurs for each light switch but this will mean having from 3 minimum to 7 maximum cables terminating in each 5753. I am sure 7 is too many but how many can you fit in and what is the best way to terminate the rest?

Thanks
    Mick

furlong, Apr 29, 2005
  2. furlong

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Mick
    Not familiar with the pir sensor , but im assumimg its a ceiling mount unit?

If so i would be daisy chaining the cbus cable at the switches and spurring off to the pirs....Much easier to locate termination faults at floor level IMO...

I used bootlace ferrules for termination .....

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Apr 29, 2005
  3. furlong

furlong

Frank

yup ceiling mount, I agree about fault finding but it also adds to the network length...... very high ceilings and a lot of switches so looping in and out of the switch boxes would add significantly to the cable length as would spurring from the switches.

Cable faults I can find and fix even if they are in the ceiling and with a single cable in a switch box (block walls with conduit) if it is faulty I can use it to pull a fresh cable. Overall cable length/voltage drops are a whole different kettle of fish.

Trying to keep this as a single network but with 50 plus switches and a bundle of sensors I am gonna find that tricky enough so I want to keep cable as short as poss

Ta
    Mick

furlong, Apr 29, 2005
  4. furlong

Nick Mullins

PIR cable space

gday mick,
    ive found that any more than three cbus cables in a pir is a pain in the #**#. Remebering that you parallel two cores + & - in each cat 5 so really with 3 cat 5 cables you have 6 cores for positive and 6 for negative.to get these in a boot lace crimp,you only just fit it into the terminal.so 7 cbus cables is really 14 cores for positive and 14 for negative.best of luck get those into terminals and getting the pir to screw up onto the base plate.it will be a lot less trouble to fit off and you will get less termination problems if you daisy chain your network.But each to there own mate! :cool:

Nick Mullins, Apr 29, 2005
  5. furlong

furlong

Nick,

you mean daisy chain everything?

I estimate this would add approx 50-75m to the total cable length. Which might just push me over the limit. The power supplies are distributed but only in two locations so ideally I want to keep the cable length as short as I can.

Going to allow for a network bridge in the quote just in case. I will do some work on autocad and see if I can get a better estimate of total cable length.

How about fitting daisy in, daisy out and a short spur to the pir and then bootlace them together from there? might be the easiest option. Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Mick

furlong, Apr 29, 2005
  6. furlong

Charlie Crackle

THis work OK

I have done a setup like this and works fine

THe 5753PEIRL has 2 sets of terminals. the max you will get in with out bootlace is 6 CBUS cables.

Remember don't use the 5753PEIRL in a bedroom if you are going to use the occupancy sensor. Otherwise you till have a nice little BLUE night light !!! :)

Charles

Attached Files:

Charlie Crackle, Apr 29, 2005
  7. furlong

furlong

Charles,

thats pretty much what I intended doing thanks for the confirmation. When you say 6 do you mean 6 connections as in an incoming and outgoing and 4 spurs or do you mean 3 pairs?

Blue night light ugh! Isn't it software controllable like the neos? I have one on the way to me for testing so I guess I will find out.

Cheers
    Mick

furlong, Apr 29, 2005
  8. furlong

Charlie Crackle

I mean six pieces of pink cbus cable.

The most I had was 4

The "Blue light" is not able to be disabled in current firmware.

Charlie Crackle, May 3, 2005
  9. furlong

furlong

thanks Charles,

guess I will wait until one arrives and see if the blue led can be obscured

Mick

furlong, May 3, 2005
Ask a Question