5512RVFP causing problems in C-Bus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by yecora, Apr 4, 2016.

1. yecora

yecora

Shortly checked out forum and didn't find out any similar problem

1. Old system, worked for 5-6 years. Quite large.
    2. 4x5512RVFP units were providing power to the C-BUS along with one separate din-rail Clipsal power source
    3. Client reported about strange behaviour of the system - loads not turning on/off after key pressed, LEDs on key blinking blue/orange after pressing, etc.
    4. Scan from setup software didn't show any units in network
    5. I was able to fing out that removing of one 5512RVFP from network solves the problem - so looks like power source in this unit and/or it's C-Bus part is responsible for this problem

Questions:

1. Any chances to revive the 5512RVFP?
    2. Will disabling powersource in this unit help and is it possible to disable the power source as network burden or clock?
    3. Is it worth to do so or just buy a new one and forget about it?

yecora, Apr 4, 2016
  2. yecora

Roosta

Are the 4 relays definately L5512RVFP models? If so they do not provide any cbus power to the system.. Get a replacement 5500PS and add that to the system and see if the problems go away..

Roosta, Apr 5, 2016
  3. yecora

Ashley

Just to expand on what Roosta is saying, the 'P' suffix means the unit does NOT have an inbuilt power supply. This is a bit un-intuitive and I have no idea how it came about, but we are stuck with it.

Also, toolkit has no way of determining if a unit is a version with the power supply or not, so it is worth checking to make sure the physical unit matches with what toolkit thinks it is.

Ashley, Apr 5, 2016
  4. yecora

znelbok

I am interested in the solution to this as well. I have a dimmer that cant tolerate a brief power cycle (up to 30 seconds) and all LED's go out and locks up the network - very similar situation to the above problem. Removing power fixes the problem for the network and powering up the dimmer 10 minutes later will usually bring it back on line.

IT does appear that a power supply has failed, but I would expect that the removal on one relay would not fix the network problems. The fact that its a single relay points to an issue in it.

Is there still a repair service for C-Bus units. IT would appear that in this case its probably just a control board replacement needed - much the same for my dimmer

znelbok, Apr 5, 2016
  5. yecora

Mr Mark

"P" for passive...
    I agree Ashley, "P" for powered makes more sense.

Mr Mark, Apr 6, 2016
  6. yecora

yecora

My bad, all 4 relays are WITH power supply + there is an additional separate power source available (do not remember partcular model, but from Clipsal as well).

yecora, Apr 6, 2016
  7. yecora

Colin Moderator

Is there enough power on the Network to Power the bus while isolating one relay at a time.

Each Relay is 200ma and the Power Supply is 360ma. So removing one relay would leave you with about 960ma or enough to run about 40 units.

If this is possible then suggest Isolate each relay alternately. (usual quite easy if relays are all in same location) keeping everything else in.

Then see if the issue goes away. I quite often try scanning the network at each step as this requires more quality from C-Bus coms and can indicate if the issue is better or worse.

Through a Process like this you may quickly identify the unit at fault (assuming the issue is related to a failing power supply).

Hope this is of some help.

Colin, Apr 7, 2016
  8. yecora

yecora

Actually I've isolated a malfunctioned relay module, changed broken one to new one, but the question remains - as this is quite expensive unit, and it is working as a RELAY, only one problem is with integrated bus power supply - so is it possible to physically or on programming level disconnect or switch off the integrated power supply? As I'm pretty sure it's a reason of bus problems.

yecora, Apr 13, 2016
Ask a Question