5508D1A Dimmer... brief flash when ramping up from 0%

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by MichaelCarey, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Hi Everybody,

I've got a older 5508D1A Dimmer (pre learn enabled) in my home theatre.

Recently I've noticed a brief "flash" from the lights connected to channel one when it's ramped up from 0%. I have an IR remote triggering scenes on an old B/W touch screen in another part of the house. I use the IR remote before, during and after "screening" a movie. This flash is annoying after watching a movie in a light controlled room... I hit the remote to bring the lights up and BANG! Dilated pupils get hit!

I moved the channel one load (four iron core transformers with 20W halogen lamps) over to another channel and confirmed that it is actually channel one with the problem.

Interestingly, if I turn the lights off and immediately try to ramp up from 0%, I do not get the flash. If I wait 30 seconds and then try it, FLASH!

Is this something that could be repaired (I work in electronic service, mainly industrial, communications and broadcast)... or do I just buy a new dimmer?

Michael.

MichaelCarey, Sep 14, 2015
  2. MichaelCarey

DarylMc

Hi Michael
    The video showed the problem well.
    I am not so familiar with the failing operation of a dimmer so I was hoping someone else would reply.
    I think the only other thing to check before you replace the dimmer is the CBus commands going to the dimmer channel.
    CBus diagnostic utility can send some commands to test if you have a PC and CBus interface.
    Toolkit logs will also show what the channel was told to do.
    Checking for loose wiring might also be worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
    DarylMc, Sep 16, 2015
  3. MichaelCarey

jboer

I would follow what Daryl said, then if it was myself (I shouldn't say you should do it but hey ;-) I would check to see if you have any bulging capacitors and replace any X2 capacitors. Can't guarantee anything but that would be my guess.

jboer, Sep 16, 2015
  4. MichaelCarey

grantw

The first thing (at a component level) that I was going to suggest was capacitors too, especially with the "30 seconds" description.

There are few things other than a cap that can change in behaviour over that period of time.

grantw, Jun 29, 2016
Ask a Question