5504GI General Input Module - Compatible Wind/Sun Sensors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Alex0, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Alex0

Alex0

Background: Im getting a pair of shades installed which have Somfy motors. For the basic open/stop/close operation i have the L5501RBCP Shutter Relay wired to the somfy motors, controlled by a DLT keypad. I have set this up previously for blinds in the house and this will work ok.

The shade installer has mentioned that he can supply a Somfy Soliris Wind/Sun Sensor with a Soliris IB module which can then provide an open/close to the motors. However this solution looks inefficient to me as i don't need another controller, as i already have C-bus.

Thus i am looking for compatible wind/sun sensors (Voltage/Resistance/Current types) that people have used with a 5504GI module to trigger blinds/shades open/close when a measurement threshold is reached.

Alternatively if people have hacked into Somfy Soliris Win/Sun Sensors to extract the raw measurement or tried another solution with NO/NC contacts connected to something like a 5504AUX then please let me know. A wiring diagram would be handy.

Note there is a post "How to shutter up and down simultaneously" which i have looked at which seems similar but i never got to understand the final solution from the member "crispyoz". It seems like he was able to extract resistance values in proportion to wind speed but im not sure without seeing a wiring diagram.

Thanks Alex

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Alex0, Jun 13, 2018
  2. Alex0

crispyoz

Hi Alex,

I installed some Somfy external louvres about 2 years ago complete with the IB module. One issue for me was that it took a lot of space in my cabinet, which I like to be efficient and tidy, the other issue is that you set the maximum wind level and it triggers all the louvres to come up. Since I have louvres on 3 sides of my apartment and each louvre therefore is effected differently by the wind speed. Therefore I use 5504GI connected to an Anemometer Wind Speed Sensor w/Analog Voltage Output. The brand is Adafruit, you can google it but I got mine from Core Electronics.

Chris

crispyoz, Jun 19, 2018
  3. Alex0

Alex0

Thanks Chris. I have found the model so it has 0.4v to 2v output to measure 0-32.4m/s. Can you confirm the scaling factor you used in the 5504GI module to use the 0-5v input.

Alex0, Jun 19, 2018
  4. Alex0

crispyoz

Hi Alex,

I was a bit lazy, I didn't do too much analysis to come up with a scaling factor< i had planned to but life got in the way. I just waited for a windy day, waited until I got nervous and took the voltage output. I then use this in a trigger in my CTC logic. It must have worked ok because we've had some seriously windy days in the last few years and I still have all my louvres :)

Regards

Chris

crispyoz, Jun 20, 2018
  5. Alex0

Alex0

Cheers thanks Chris. That actually seems a logical approach.
    Anyway I’ve decided to go for 0.88v as my trigger to retract - 9.722m/s or 35km/h

If I scale to km/h I work out :
    Y = 72.9X - 29.16 where X is the measured voltage 0.4v to 2v -> 0 to 116.64km/h; 0 to 32.4m/s

Alex0, Jun 21, 2018
Ask a Question