5504AUX input channel address

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by jka, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jka

jka

Hi there
    How do you access the channel state from the aux input module?
    Eg; If 5504AUX address is 22, and I want to check whether channel 1 is on
    I have a limit switch on the garage door and want to close the door at a certain time if the limit switch is on using a PAC to control this
    regards Jim

jka, Apr 25, 2006
  2. jka

RossW

It's not *quite* the same thing....but may give you an idea.

I have panel-tilt doors in the garage, and wanted to be able to "open" or "close" a door. Problem was that the electronics only has a single switch input. Momentary contact will drive it to "the other" position (unless it's currently running, then it'll stop).

So with two relay channels per door, one "up" and one "down", each is connected via a limit-switch (in my case, a reed). If the "down" relay closes and the door is anywhere other than "down", or the "up" relay closes and the door is anywhere but "up", the control units gets its momentary contact.

It not infalible in theory, but none have got "out of sync" yet.

RossW, Apr 25, 2006
  3. jka

jka

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Ross
    I understand what you have done
    I am just using one channel of a relay module to trigger the door
    I have set it as a 2 second timer
    I have a few buttons that trigger this
    This works OK to open and close manually

The bit I need to check is the auxilliary input module channel 1 signal
    (This is where I have connected the door opened limit switch)
    The address of the 5504AUX is 22
    I want to be able to check when it is true
    I do not know how to read this signal as it does not come up on the scroll options
    I tried many things like GetCBusState (22) but no good
    (I am a novice with CBus)
    I have used it as a timer for some lights
    But was hoping I could read the signal with the PAC and trigger the door to close for example at 8pm if the limit was on (door open)
    regards Jim

jka, Apr 25, 2006
  4. jka

znelbok

I am not sure I have read the question properly yet but

When you set up a aux input, you assign groups to the inputs, thye effectively become key inputs then. All you need to do then is monitor the state of the group assigned to that input.

Then using logic you tell c-bus to do what you need (ie if the open limit is made then close the door, if close limit made do nothing).

Out of interest, I have an ATA door motor/controller and it has an output for an indoor monitoring unit that they no longer use. It give a discrete ouptu for open and closed, has a discrete input for open/close/stop. Best thing is that it pulses the ouptput depending on the direction it is moving.

ie

if it is opening it will pulse the open output at around 1-1.5hz, similarly for close. When it make the limit the output is help high.

When you stop part way, both pulse together. With a bit of logic you can always know which was the last direction and setup your logic to compensate.

Unfortunately c-bus cant handle the frequency that the outputs are pulsing at and you need something else to use it with.

The outputs are at 5V and hence can be wired straight into a aux input module.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 26, 2006
  5. jka

jka

Thanks Mick
    I have used the Toolkit to switch some lights on for 10 minutes when the door opens. I have set input 1 as a timer, this is no problem.

What I am trying to do now is to check the door limit switch state at a given time.
    Eg - If the time is 8pm and the door limit input is true (ie; door is opened) then pulse the door close signal for 2 seconds. If the door limit input is false (door not opened) then do nothing. This will check the door for us each night at a given time.
    I have a PAC connected, but don't know how to check a channel state in the 5504AUX.
    regards
    Jim

jka, Apr 26, 2006
  6. jka

jka

No idea

I guess I have to use a spare relay output and assign it to the 5504AUX input channel 1
    Then use the PAC to monitor that relay address?
    Any other clues??

jka, Apr 26, 2006
  7. jka

jka

Solved

Thanks for the couple of replies
    I set aux input channel 1 (door opened limit switch) on the 5504AUX to bell press
    and assigned a dummy address to it
    Then with the PAC used;
    Once getstate (dummy) = ON.....
    Turn lights on for x, gives duration when door reaches open
    Once getstate (dummy) = OFF...
    Turn lights on for y, gives duration on closing

Problem solved :)

jka, Apr 26, 2006
  8. jka

Jetson

20 cents worth

Hi I thought I might add my 20 cents worth here as I often use a touch screen and the same double reed input to control doors and gates from a distance. I create a 3rd CBus group "in motion" and use some logic to set the group on only when the reeds are both off so I can display on the touch screen the true gate state, open - in motion - closed. Helps the coustomer so they don't keep pressing the "open" button when the gate / door is working, Ian

Jetson, Apr 26, 2006
  9. jka

znelbok

Forgive my ignorance, I dont have a PAC.

Can't a PAC read a group assigned to an input on a aux input module. It would sound like that it can only read groups assigned to physical outputs by the statement above.

I would have assumed that a PAC could read any group state.

A bell press should be alright and when the door is open say the inputis on and then the group (door open) is on. You can then run your logic in the PAC.

Just work ont he bell press and the group there

Mick

znelbok, Apr 27, 2006
Ask a Question