5500PC question and Saturn switch question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jdebellis, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Jdebellis

Jdebellis

Hi all. I would like to call on your experience and advice with 2 things I wish to ahieve please.

I want to control my cbus from hopefully my iPhone (cos I'm to lazy to get up and down all the time). I have read about the touch soft app which seems to work well. I have the 5500pc connection on my cbus with rs232. Can this connect to my Ethernet hub and work in the same way as the 5500cn ( which I do not have).?

If not, should I get a 5500cn Ethernet connection to my network, is this all I will need, along with my iPhone over my home wifi network? And I would have cbus control ?

Secondly in one room I have a 4 gang Saturn. I need more buttons so I wan to replace with a 6 gang Saturn. Is it straight forward enough to remove the 4 gang and replace with the 6 gang ? Straight swap and just put the wires essentially into the same place on the 6 gang. I can program the new 6 gang myself as the learn mode of cbus makes that really easy

Thanks for you advice

Jdebellis, Jan 20, 2013
  2. Jdebellis

rhamer

Hi Jdebellis, I have a new integrated solution for your iPhone/iPad access (not a wiser), that does not need a PCI/CNI.

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the information.

Regards

Rohan Hamer

rhamer, Jan 20, 2013
  3. Jdebellis

DarylMc

Hello Jdebellis

Yes you can use your existing RS232 CBus interface with a "serial device server" to connect to CBus via your home network.
    Since you already have the RS232 interface it is going to be your cheapest option to get a network connection to CBus.

On my CBus RS232 interface I use a Moxa 5110A serial device server to access it by ethernet.
    Myself and others here have successfully used various brands of serial device servers connected to a CBus RS232 interface in the same way as the Clipsal CNI product for applications such as Touchsoft, CBus Toolkit, Piced/Homegate and CBus Diagnostic Utility.
    If you search the forum you should find a few brands that people have tried.

I have had the iPhone Touchsoft app for some time, connected to both Clipsal CNI or CBus RS232 interface through the device server.
    The Touchsoft app has always given me a little trouble and has not always correctly reflected group status and occasionally locked the CNI and the Moxa.
    I believe shutting down the iPhone app completely with a double tap on the home button has seen me avoid both these problems but it is easy to forget to do this.
    Because of this I haven't used the app a lot and I really couldn't recommend it to a customer.
    Regardless of those issues I think purchasing a serial device server for your CBus interface and Touchsoft app is a very cheap option for you and worth considering.
    Maybe someone else could share their experiences.

With regard to installing a network cable to your RS232 interface or a CNI for that matter, it's probably not going to be convenient or satisfactory if your interface is mounted in an electrical switchboard so you need to consider this.
    I always have a pink CBus cable going to my data cabinet so I can mount the CNI or RS232 interface in there close to a data connection and power supply.

Regarding changing the Saturn wall plate there are only 2 terminals behind there.

But if you are not too experienced in programming CBus or computer networking I suggest you try and find someone who can set it up for you.

Regards
    Daryl

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    DarylMc, Jan 23, 2013
  4. Jdebellis

znelbok

Just to echi Daryl's comments, the CNI is just a PCI with a serial server built in so you can do this yourself and use an external one as suggested.

Pay attention to cabletype in cabinets ass indicated.

There are a number of ways to get iOS control - my preference is CQC. Rohan's device works well also.

Depending on your level of confidence with electrical devices, it is pretty simple to change a switch - but if you have to ask this question then I would suspect that you are not. A simple read of the training and or any manuals for the switches would show you the requirements and conenction methods and I would suggest that you get someone involved that can do it for you.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 23, 2013
  5. Jdebellis

Jdebellis

Thanks Rohan - I have sent you a PM with my direct email.

Daryl - Thanks for the advice. I might try a serial to ethernet box. I didnt realise that method was possible. I was eying off some CNI's on ebay for about $220 which seems a fair price, but I do have access to a serial to ethernet box from the IT guys at work, so I might just give that a little test out first.

Mykel - Ill do some reading on the CQC stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

I am sort of OK with networking and stuff. If not I find that reading forums and googling normally you can find advice on what to do to get things running. I always say "google is your friend" - because generally whatever you want to do, someone already has done it, thought of it, or asked about it, so somewhere there is good information.

I do need an installer though. But I am finding it hard to get a good one to come out. I need someone to talk me through my CBUS ( i bought a new house with it installed and there are lots of extra wires not connected, but everything that should work, does work) and explain what more I can do and cant do. I also need some general reprogramming done. Ive called a few installers, and either they dont show up, aren't interested cos they want big commercial type jobs, or dont call back.

I had two installers come out for a small look at what I had and initial consultation. I paid them for their 1 - 1.5 hrs of their time, they were suppossed to come back to me with further info and pricing on getting some simple stuff done, but never did !

I find members on here much more helpfull and informative than calling so called installers from the CIS website. People on forums are generally enthusiasts, and know much more than run of the mill electricians, who call them selves cbus installers

Jdebellis, Jan 24, 2013
Ask a Question