5500NAC/SHAC acting as Modbus/TCP server (i.e. slave)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by Kelvin, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin

Hi Folks,

I have a need to have a BMS PLC able to see all the C-Bus group levels and change them from time to time via Modbus.

The 5500NAC/SHAC has lots of documentation for the device acting as a Modbus master (i.e. client) and the profile system that supports that, however I've not seen anything about it acting as a Modbus slave (i.e. server).

Has anyone else tried to do this before and found a solution?

From a previous thread I found the link to Logic Machine (who built the 5500NAC/SHAC for =SE=) and their forums and found the following as an example of doing exactly what I want with KNX:

https://openrb.com/lm-as-modbus-tcp-slave/

Before I jump into porting this for C-Bus support instead of KNX support (and they are conceptually very similar - I've used both over many years) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reinventing the wheel.

If no one else has solved this and I use the code above as the basis for a Modbus/TCP server (i.e. slave) I'll post the code here to share with the group.

-Kelvin

Kelvin, Sep 26, 2019
  2. Kelvin

kojobomb

Bringing up an old thread here.
    Did you ever succeed with this code?
    I have a (SMA data manager) acting as a master/client and communicating with pv and battery inverters (slaves) on an off-grid property situation and would like to send/poll/read 1 x register (Battery state of charge SOC).
    For obvious reasons this would be a very useful byte of data to help cbus manage both self consumption and night time energy use.
    Ash

kojobomb, Jan 3, 2022
  3. Kelvin

Dasman

Ive a working port of this if either of you are interested. I will be keen to test it out on a few sites

Dasman, Jul 4, 2022
    Kelvin likes this.
  4. Kelvin

Kelvin

Hi Dasman,

Great stuff getting an implementation of this done.
    I never got to this myself but would be super keen to help test any implementation you have. Are you in a position that you could post the code as an attachment to this discussion thread? If not let me know and we’ll find a way to do some sort of direct message.

Cheers, Kelvin

Kelvin, Jul 24, 2022
  5. Kelvin

Dasman

Hi Kelvin,

Apologies for the delay, please see the attached zip file, this includes everything I have put together for this. Let me know how you go!

Attached Files:

Dasman, Aug 3, 2022
Ask a Question