5500NAC reliability issues

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by more-solutions, Feb 8, 2021.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions

I have a number of 5500NAC installed on site. Site has periodic power shutdowns (or partial shutdowns which may only affect part of a network if that's relevant), and when that happens it's not uncommon for one or two of the installed NACs not to come back to life afterwards. Sometimes a power cycle will recover them, sometimes not. Generally, they will have lit power LEDs but won't be accessible on LAN or visible via C-Bus (from another device on the network).

CNIs under similar circumstances (on the same site) are not suffering the safe fate, and the CNIs are much older.

I need to establish if there is an issue in the NAC that's affecting us, or if it's an issue on site that the CNIs aren't troubled by, and if the latter then what that issue is.

more-solutions, Feb 8, 2021
  2. more-solutions

mushafiq

Hi there, I am having similar issues. Just to check the similarity, do you have the power LED as solid red when you have a need to recover them via a power cycle? Also, check the alerts tab on the configurator. How many times do you have a system start up event logged?

mushafiq, May 24, 2021
  3. more-solutions

more-solutions

To be honest, more often than not when they fail they don't come back after a reboot; the once (that I remember) this happening might have been a red herring. Our experience is that the memory card gets corrupted and the device can't boot. (If you're happy to take it apart when that happens and re-image from a working unit that fixes it, although it's not exactly "user serviceable" and really should be a warranty return.) I might be inclined to suggest that the consumer grade Transcend cards in the units we had fail weren't the best choice for a unit like this (we replace them with industrial SLC cards if they fail out of warranty.)

more-solutions, May 26, 2021
Ask a Question