5000SM/2 info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Harnett, Jul 16, 2010.

1. John Harnett

John Harnett

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find the details (pin outs etc.) of the 5000SM/2 development SIMs? I've got a couple of these to have a play with. I've got a few ideas I'd like to try out - but there seems to be no information on these units within reach.

Thanks

John Harnett, Jul 16, 2010
  2. John Harnett

NickD Moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for pointing that out. The SIM hasn't been publicly available for that long, and we've obviously neglected to make all the associated the documentation available online.

I can't promise when it will be done, so in the meantime, here's the basic circuit that was on the interface board we used to provide to developers as part of the C-Bus Enabled program.

The 10 pin header shown actually has pins 3-6 missing on the SIM (this gap is to preserve the 6mm isolation required between the C-Bus part of the circuit and the rest of your circuit), so you see a 2-pin and a 4-pin header. Pin 1 is at the 2-pin end.

Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
    NickD, Jul 16, 2010
  3. John Harnett

John Harnett

Ah, thanks Nick, that should do the trick nicely.

John

John Harnett, Jul 16, 2010
  4. John Harnett

ashleigh Moderator

As far as s/w and protocol documentation goes, its on the web site for download.

The source code for the s/w driver is available on Sourceforge (search for "cbus module").

ashleigh, Jul 17, 2010
  5. John Harnett

John Harnett

Yep, I got the software awhile ago. Its' pretty much the same stuff I 'bent' for a FreeBSD hosted Tcl/Tk interface for the CNI units. In this case tho' I'll be driving it with a PIC24 or a PIC32MX. I have a number of small projects to try out with these that should be rather interesting. I'm not sure if the distributor is gouging, but I hope that the modules can be source somewhat cheaper if I ever need to use larger numbers of them :)

John Harnett, Jul 17, 2010
  6. John Harnett

ashleigh Moderator

Last I knew the SM units were priced at "development kit" sort of levels for the casual users. Those who want to go into production of some kind of product need to talk to the sales channel or the clipsal product management to set up some kind of volume priced deal.

ashleigh, Jul 18, 2010
  7. John Harnett

KevinH

Very envious

I must have tried a hundred times to source these... and I use them in a gateway product. I kinda shelved C-Bus Enabled approval once the spec become publicly available - along with these... but it's been a nightmare progressing them here in the UK. They are very useful modules however.

Despite an equal number of we'll get back to you responses I've now given up on ever seeing them, and have kinda given up moving forward with the gateway product and the onboard C-Bus interface. I now just suggest an external RS232 or CNI.

K

KevinH, Jul 18, 2010
  8. John Harnett

John Harnett

Hi Kevin,

Yes, the local distributer didn't have them on their stock list at all. With the part number they were able to find it on the Clipsal list, and so could get them in fairly easily (oddly, the DLT units I ordered at the same time were the hold up).

John Harnett, Jul 18, 2010
  9. John Harnett

kiwi64ajs

I've got C-Bus installed in my house and I'm a software developer with over 10 years experience with Industrial Automation Control Systems writing custom communications drivers between Modicon, Allen Bradley PLC5,5/250, Rockwell Control Logix, PDL and various other industrial devices. So I'm keen to do a bunch of personal DIY type interfaces between C-Bus and the other technologies I have in my house.

So, as you might imagine, I was quite excited when I saw the announcement of the 5000SM/2 and all the associated docs and driver source code on SF.net. I quickly downloaded all the docs and source code, in case it was a security screw-up and in case it all disappeared as it was quite a big disclosure of what from experience would have only been prevoiusly available under NDA.

However, when I started making enquiries - I soon found quite a different story. I've talked to various C-Bus enabled and Clipsal Australia people who seemed helpful but I got directed to deal with the Clipsal NZ people who were NOT helpful at all and were actually quite obstructive and refused to provide access to the 5000SM/2 modules. So despite my efforts I still have not got any 5000SM/2 modules after 2 years.

Does anyone know about or is there someone in Clipsal anywhere in the world who will sell me 3 or 4 of these 5000SM/2 modules?

Regards

Alex Shepherd
    Hamilton NZ

kiwi64ajs, Mar 30, 2011
  10. John Harnett

John Harnett

Hi Alex,

Perhaps you can get them couriered from an Australian wholesaler? (say something like www.middys.com.au). While not promoting a specific sales channel, I do know know that they can supply them locally.

John Harnett, Apr 5, 2011
  11. John Harnett

KevinH

I gave up trying to source these too.....in fact even with an order of 100 we failed. So I shelved our C-Bus enabled project.

Much the same experience in the UK ... I even got in touch 3 times with CM 'the guy who knows how' in Aus who promised to sort it... and that never worked either...

If anyone does find a source or would kindly send some (just a few/prepaid) to me in the UK please drop me a PM

K

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    KevinH, Apr 5, 2011
  12. John Harnett

NickD Moderator

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles getting hold of these... I think there are a number of things at play here.

For a start, the 5000SM/2, whilst now available to the general public, is not a commodity product, so it's not something that distributors are going to move a lot of, so they don't hold stock.

Secondly, most of the volume of these is actually for OEM customers, and they are customised with their configurations in the factory. I don't actually know how it's handled from a manufacturing point of view, but I suspect that generic 5000SM/2 are built to order.

Thirdly, especially for the UK, AFAIK what lines are stocked is up to the local distributors and product managers.. it seems to be hard enough for you guys to get the basic C-Bus stuff like key units, let alone the slightly obscure things like the 5000SM/2.

On the positive side, there have been some recent changes to the C-Bus Enabled program, so hopefully issues like this will now get the attention they deserve.

Nick

NickD, Apr 6, 2011
  13. John Harnett

kiwi64ajs

Hi Kevin,
    Well it seems my tale-of-woe made it onto the right person's radar and I'm hopeful that an order for 4 x 5000SM/2 modules is being processed somewhere in Aussie and will arrive in my letterbox some time soon. So for me it's looking likely to end up being a good outcome.

For others wanting to access these rather elusive modules - I would suggest you make contact with the new C-Bus Enabled Program Manager - Don Brooks. His forum handle is: DonB

Now I can dust off my plans for some RGB LED Dimmers and a few other DIY projects that I have been thinking about for the last few years.

Regards

Alex Shepherd

kiwi64ajs, Apr 7, 2011
  14. John Harnett

KevinH

The response from the Clipsal staff who contribute to this forum has been great for me too , as it always is :) .... thanks.

If we could only get more of the sales and marketing department and even perhaps the UK peeps doing the same.... we do get very frustrated in international markets.

K

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    KevinH, Apr 7, 2011
  15. John Harnett

DonB

I Can and Want to Help!

Sorry to hear of all the problems there has been in getting hold of the PC SIM's. It was the innocent victim to the circumstances of change.

If anyone requires assistance in getting hold of the C-Bus 5000SM/2 regardless of where you are located please feel free to contact me via the C-Bus Forum or via the C-Bus Enabled Website email contact. [email protected]

DonB, Apr 11, 2011
  16. John Harnett

kiwi64ajs

Hi Nick,

Now that I have some 5000SM/2 modules on the way I'm dusting off my projects and one device I could interface the 5000SM/2 to is a LinkSys WRT54GL Router or their NSLU2 NAS.

One issue is that both those devices run at 3.3V so I'm wondering what the logic/interface chips on the 5000SM/2 really are. Is the 5V pin really just supplying 5V to some opto-couplers, such that if I powered the 5000SM/2 from 3.3V instead of 5V, would it work and make the Tx line provide a 3.3V compatible signal so I could hook it up directly to my 3.3V devices?

Regards

Alex Shepherd

kiwi64ajs, Apr 15, 2011
  17. John Harnett

NickD Moderator

The circuit was designed for 5V systems, but has recently been updated to work better with 3.3V systems.

Unfortunately for you, this latest change hasn't been rolled into production just yet.

The version you have may be a bit marginal on the logic high voltage output level if you power the isolated size from 3.3V.

It should be fine on the input side as long as your driving circuit can supply about 1-2mA.

The simplest thing to do is try it - as long as you hook it up correctly the lower supply voltage won't cause any damage.

Nick

NickD, Apr 15, 2011
  18. John Harnett

kiwi64ajs

Ok. That is what I guessed so I'll give it a go when the modules arrive.

In desperation, I had previously salvaged some older C-Bus interface modules from an old Clipsal Security System. I spent some time with a magnifying glass following the tracks on the PCB and figured they were probably just opto-couplers (I think I googled the chips) so I figured these new 5000SM/2 modules would probably be similar.

Are there any details available on what these older C-Bus modules are likely to be?

Thanks

Alex Shepherd

kiwi64ajs, Apr 15, 2011
  19. John Harnett

ashleigh Moderator

From memory, the SM/2 had a number of updates compared to the SM:

- its got the newer C-Bus micro on
    - the burden circuit was changed (though I don't remember the exact details)
    - the opto interface was made more robust for 3.3V systems

This last may have involved a change of opto-couplers, or a change to the drive circuit, or both. Again I don't remember the exact details. There were customers using the older one (the SM) in 3.3V systems and found it to be unreliable, this is why it was changed. The reliability or otherwise depended on the exact batch of SM stock they had, but more particularly it had to do with sufficient current (the customer was knowingly running them outside the specified interface characteristics).

ashleigh, Apr 15, 2011
  20. John Harnett

kiwi64ajs

Hi Guys,

Well I now have a box with 4 x 5000 SM/2 modules in it - let the fun begin... :)

Regards

Alex Shepherd

kiwi64ajs, May 5, 2011
Ask a Question