5000CT -Transfer Project by C-Bus Connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by abg, Sep 14, 2010.

1. abg

abg

I have a 5000CT B&W Touchscreen which I got when I did the training (S/N 001003533872 - might give a clue to age). Just wondered if this unit is able to receive projects by C-Bus rather than direct cable (I know it will be slow).

I have a project running on it now which I downloaded by direct connection but the unit is in a stable block some distance away (on a second network) so although it is slower the few times the project will need updating make it more convenient to do it via the C-Bus connection.

There is no problem connecting to both C-Bus and the unit via PICED and the project compiles without error but when I try and transfer I get the message "Config file failed to download to the unit".

Firmware version is 4.6.00.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
    abg, Sep 14, 2010
  2. abg

Mark

C-Touch Firmware Upgrade via C-Bus

Hi,

You'll need to access the network directly (and mess about with your Toolkit project accordingly) or go back to the cable.

Mark.

Mark, Sep 14, 2010
  3. abg

abg

Thanks Mark.

abg, Sep 14, 2010
  4. abg

Newman

You can do the transfer over C-Bus, but there's a few more things to set up in PICED to do that.

• You need to make sure the unit address of the unit is correctly specified in the Project Details
    • You need to connect PICED to C-Bus first
    • You need to specify that the connection to the unit is over C-Bus, not via a serial port
    • You need to be using a version of PICED that is compatible with the C-Touch Firmware Version. The C-Bus Firmware Version, which is the 4.6.00 you list above, does not matter. Firmware updates are only available over the direct cable connection. You can discover the unit C-Touch Firmware Version from the start-up page on the physical unit.
    You also need to be prepared to wait for over an hour.

Newman, Sep 14, 2010
  5. abg

yamy125

I haven't managed to get this to work either with a B&W MKII. Anyone else doing it successfully via C-Gate on another PC?

PICED connects to C-Bus network fine and shows 1/1 network connected in status. Under Transfer menu I have Connect To Unit ticked. C-Gate is a remote PC and is obviously allowing the connection from PICED via access control. If I go to Transfer - Transfer Project To Unit - Transfer Current Project and click ok then yes to confirm I get "Config file failed to download to the unit". Unit and PICED are both latest version/firmware.

All other test functions (say I do a test button press in PICED) work fine, so connectivity to the network is ok.

I note under Project menu - C-Bus Networks that the only connection listed is a local one, and doesn't appear to be an option to add a remote network? Not sure if this is the issue, as I have 'via C-Bus' selected under program options and that side all appears ok as mentioned.

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Cheers

yamy125, Oct 2, 2010
  6. abg

Newman

As the PICED help file says, you cannot transfer a project to a C-Touch over C-Bus via network bridges.

Newman, Oct 3, 2010
  7. abg

yamy125

Confused sorry. So what classifies as a bridge in my case? All I'm trying to do is transfer the project from my laptop to the touch panel via C-Gate, or is C-Gate the bridge in this case, meaning the limitation will be that the project can only be transferred from the PC running C-Gate connected to C-Bus locally?

Seem very limiting if so considering all other functionality appears fine connecting through C-Gate remotely. Would also allow remote site updates via VPN or are we limited to CNI's for that if it doesn't allow using my attempted method?

Cheers

yamy125, Oct 3, 2010
  8. abg

Newman

A C-Bus Network Bridge (5500NB or 5100B) is a physical device for connecting two C-Bus networks together. When Toolkit connects to a system with network bridges installed the network that the PC Interface/CNI/Wiser/etc is physically connected to is called the local network. All other networks are called remote networks.

Re-reading your posts what I think you are saying is that you have a C-Bus network with a PC connected to it that is running C-Gate. On this C-Bus network there is a B&W MKII C-Touch. You are running PICED on your laptop and PICED is connected to C-Gate on this other PC. You are trying to download to the C-Touch using this connection. Is that correct?

The issue that started this thread was specifically about downloading to a Mk 1 C-Touch over C-Bus that was located on a remote network. Downloading to a MkII C-Touch via C-Bus that is connected to a local network but using a remote instance of C-Gate is a different scenario, so suggest you start a new thread in future.

Newman, Oct 4, 2010
  9. abg

yamy125

100% correct.

Happy to start a new thread - just thought it was the same transfer error by the sounds. Going back over his original post I now note the 'second network' reference sorry.

yamy125, Oct 4, 2010
  10. abg

Darren Senior Member

Unfortunately, this set-up will not work. C-Gate needs to be on the same PC as is running PICED. I will update the help file to clarify this.

Darren, Oct 6, 2010
Ask a Question