5000CT serial to PC4

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Dvine, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dvine

Dvine

Swear I saw this same sort of question on here somewhere but I cant find it.

I have a Push PC4 controller and I am wanting to interface it to the clients C-Bus can I connect to the serial port on the existing 5000CT touchscreen? or is that only for connecting the touchscreen to PICED, meaning I'd have to purchase a Serial PCI?

Thanks.

Dvine, Jan 19, 2016
  2. Dvine

Ashley

You need to purchase a serial PCI. The serial port on the touch screen is only available for use in logic.

Ashley, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Dvine

Dvine

Thanks for the reply Ash, appreciate it. Had a feeling that was the case.

Dvine, Jan 19, 2016
  4. Dvine

NickD Moderator

Just for completeness...

The 5000CT (ie the original C-Touch) doesn't have logic, and you can actually use the serial port as a PC Interface, however doing this disconnects the touchscreen itself from C-Bus, so it's not much use for what you want (unless you want to stick an iPad over the front permanently to hide the now-useless touchscreen).

The 5000CT2 versions with logic (which are what Ashley was referring to) do have a second serial port available to logic, but this is not capable of performing the PC Interface function.

Nick

NickD, Jan 19, 2016
  5. Dvine

Ashley

Never too old to learn :)

If you did have a touchscreen with logic (or a PAC or wiser) and you only wanted simple one way control from the PC4 to CBus you can just write a bit of logic to accept data over a serial or network connection and do whatever you want with it (i.e. trigger a scene etc). That's how I do it.

Ashley, Jan 19, 2016
  6. Dvine

Dvine

Well an iPad is going on the wall where the C-touch used to be and i'm moving the C-touch into the services room next to the PC4 so it would still run all its schedules and have all the scenes stored on it.

But if your saying it makes the C-Touch not connect to C-bus than that scenario wouldn't work I guess.

Serial PCI it is then :(

Thanks for the info guys.

Dvine, Jan 20, 2016
Ask a Question