4 Channel Universal going over-current on 4 LED lamps (4 x 15W per load)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tobex, Oct 4, 2015.

1. tobex

tobex

I am having an issue with a new 4 Channel Universal dimmer (2.5A per channel).

In two rooms which have OSRAM LUXPOINT MINI 15W LED x 4

I have the dimmer going into OVER-CURRENT mode flashing green + orange on those two channels.

Responds fine on the network and other loads (old GU10) work fine.

Is there a simple workaround for the startup error ? I have no lights coming on at all. Does this require a simple capacitor fix ? Is there a programming trick I didnt learn ?

I tried searching and I couldnt find a matching error.

tobex, Oct 4, 2015
  2. tobex

DarylMc

Hi tobex
    That sounds unfortunate.
    I would test the lamps individually if possible and get on the phone to Osram.

Last year I installed some Luxpoint Mini G2 on 30 series dimmer mechs.
    The lights had some flickering on the universal mech and Osram suggested using the dedicated trailing edge version.
    That fixed it but I suppose not much help in your particular instance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
    DarylMc, Oct 5, 2015
  3. tobex

DarylMc

Hi tobex
    Can you send a link to those light fittings.
    Silly question but are you sure they are dimmable fittings?
    Part number of the power supply?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
    DarylMc, Oct 5, 2015
  4. tobex

tobex

This model is dimmable. Used to be sold in Bunnings.

I converted the install from original version 1 Cbus dimmers and it worked fine before the change. We migrated to Cbus2 with universal dimmer 4channel modules.

Is there a capacitor I can buy to load the channel with startup current ?

tobex, Oct 6, 2015
  5. tobex

DarylMc

Hi tobex
    Flashing green and orange is supposed to indicate a short circuit.
    It seems the problem has come up before.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10015&highlight=flashing+green+orange+universal

I'm not sure of the best method to fix it other than buy compatible lights.
    You could ring CIS tech support and ask them about their load correction devices but at the end of day I wouldn't bother trying to work around incompatible LEDs when you can buy ones which work.
    1300 722 247

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
    DarylMc, Oct 6, 2015
  6. tobex

tobex

Thanks for the update. I need minimum 15W. Can anyone throw a name and model at me ?

tobex, Oct 7, 2015
  7. tobex

DarylMc

Pierlite Starburst Crystal and PierLUX ECO LED have dimming specs for CBus dimmers.

Fittings in the style of the PierLUX with a large opal diffuser as opposed to a heavily recessed light source like the Starburst are in my experience going to create the appearance of brighter illumination in a room.
    Recessed fittings like Starburst are going to provide a low glare effect.
    If my memory is correct you have mentioned a preference for 4000k colour temperature here in the past.
    This is just my opinion but because of that I think you would appreciate the broader spread of the opal diffused type light source.
    For a more warm, low glare lighting effect I would choose the 3000k recessed fittings.

On CBus I have only used the earlier model Starburst and they worked very well on both CBus leading and universal dimmer.
    They also had specs for CBus dimmers.

Pierlite won't be the cheapest fitting and I am sure there are plenty others which can work.
    It has always been the case that electronic power supplies attached to CBus dimmers need careful selection.
    From the electronic power supply itself to the number per channel.
    The Universal dimmer should offer the best chance of providing compatibility with many LED downlights.
    It certainly removes a lot of the problems with load capacitance compared to the leading edge dimmer.

If you decide to buy from a manufacturer without specs for the CBus dimmer I would be talking to the manufacturer you intend to buy the fittings from and get them to back the suitability.
    Minimum dimming range is also something to consider and it can vary between 0-30%
    Melec springs to mind as a local company you could ask the questions and I am sure there are plenty of others.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    DarylMc, Oct 7, 2015
Ask a Question