3 speed fan only 2 speeds ???

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Clips-al, May 30, 2014.

1. Clips-al

Clips-al

Hi all,
    I have just moved into a house full of c-bus so am just getting to know it so be gentle with me !:) I have searched the forums for an answer but I'm getting a bit frustrated

I have recently installed a 5500PC with Lantronic serial to ethernet interface and am trying to get to grips with the system and more recently my ceiling fans

I have 4 Hunter Typhoon metal fans that have been set up to be used with a single button on a two gang wall plate ie. 1 button cycling through low, medium and high and then off. They are associated with a action selector and trigger group and have a master configuration. 2 of them are also selectable on Saturn DLTs.

My problem is 'medium" doesn't seem to work so the fan either goes really slow or really fast, neither of which i particularly want to use. For some reason when its set to medium the fan just turns off. I am really not sure what to do. Any ideas? It definitely seems to have been set up to include medium as looking at one of my DLTs it cycles though low , medium and high. I've read in the fan manual the fans are supposed to be 3 speed so I'm hoping they are compatible. Anyone any idea ? I'm at work now but I think the thresholds are set to 34 and 70 percent if that means anything to anyone.

thanks in advance:D

Clips-al, May 30, 2014
  2. Clips-al

znelbok

Pop the cover off the fan realy and see if the capacitor is connected correctly.

Its been a long time, but a three speed fan will have three wires on the cap.

On full speed the cap is not used, on low and med different values are used, based on which lead is connected.

Maybe they are not connected or they are not three speed fans.

Mick

znelbok, May 30, 2014
  3. Clips-al

Clips-al

ok thanks. I'll give it a shot when I get home

Clips-al, May 30, 2014
  4. Clips-al

Roosta

I am sure znelbok just forgot to mention that ideally if you are not a licensed sparky, then you should definately get someone licenced and cbus experienced to come out and assist you prior to opening any switchboard up..

Obviously you should also isolate or turn off the power before opening anything..

Cheers..

Roosta, May 30, 2014
  5. Clips-al

Clips-al

I seem to have posted this in the wrong thread. I've asked the mods to move it to the wired hardware.

I'm not going to have a go at mains circuitry but I need to prepare the house for the day i get one in and try to diagnose faults or what needs to done myself beforehand. Unfortunately there is a large amount of work and i want to do what i can do to try to minimise costs. There may be a couple of days work for an electrician in this house that I just can't afford at the moment after just purchasing. The house seems to have a huge amount of wires in it 50% or more of which aren't connected to anything. You can see in the bottom picture of the fan/shutter cabinet that the majority of wires aren't connected and just taped up at the bottom. The server room is another story where theres another 100 wires not connected to anything. I presume they are there in case I want to add more stuff later on. Access to ceilings and floors is extremely poor and I have been having to resort to a boroscope to see where things are connected.

Coming back to the fans.As you can see from the close up of the modules there doesn't seem to be any capacitors wired in. What do you think ?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Clips-al, May 31, 2014
  6. Clips-al

Roosta

The capacitors get installed internally within the shutter relays.. You need to open them up to see the capacitor which means getting yourself pretty close to mains.. If you are unsure what you are doing you should stop and wait until you can afford it..

Roosta, May 31, 2014
  7. Clips-al

Clips-al

I'm gathering the picture below means no capacitor is wired in.

I also found out that there is actually no low setting either despite what i wrote earlier. Just one speed which is high. When I push the wall switch once the motor starts briefly and turns off making it look like its on low as it continue to spin slowly until eventually stopping. Only when I cycle to high does it actually come on and stay on.

My problem is now that whoever wired them in has not left the capacitors. Is there a generic one i can buy?
    These are the original values for the capacitor Wall Controller Speed Capacitor Values: 3.5μF & 1.7μF

Attached Files:

Clips-al, Jun 1, 2014
  8. Clips-al

DarylMc

In my experience, every fan is going to have different capacitors.
    The best way to purchase them would be from the fan manufacturer to suit your fan model.
    Fortunately for you Hunter Pacific are a solid product.
    You should contact them for parts.

DarylMc, Jun 1, 2014
  9. Clips-al

Clips-al

Cheers for that. I'll give them a ring

Clips-al, Jun 1, 2014
  10. Clips-al

NickD Moderator

The behaviour you describe on low is the kickstart... It briefly runs the fan on high to get it spinning before switching to low.

Nick

NickD, Jun 2, 2014
  11. Clips-al

znelbok

As stated, every fan has its own specific cap, so find the one you need and get it added.

Fortunatley its a simple job as you can see, just wire them into the terminals inside the relay. (Not advocating that you do it, but dont let your sparky tell you its difficult or that the relays have to come out).

Normally the caps are on the back of the wall switch, so if by any chance you have the wall switches sitting somewhere you will probably find the caps as well. If you are like me, you will find them after you get new caps installed :)

Nick is correct about kickstart.

Good luck

Mick

znelbok, Jun 2, 2014
  12. Clips-al

cekic

@Clips-al: Hi, that’s right you should check with the supplier to find out the correct value of capacitor as there are four ranges: 2&3, 3&1.5, 3.5&1.7 and 4.3&2.1. So according to your fan’s model you should pick up from these ranges.

printed circuit board assembly

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    cekic, Jun 10, 2014
Ask a Question