24V input to PAC.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ingo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Ingo

Ingo

Why is it that the PAC only accepts 24VAC for RS232 operation? I have a perfectly good 24VDC garage door PSU that I could have used for this but now I have to get an external PSU to power the PAC serial ports. Some of my other 'non-clipsal' management modules accept a wide range input, usually 9-32VAC/DC. That said, I could 'hack' the garage door PSU to feed the 24VAC (well probably a bit more) from there into the PAC but I would have prefered the DC side.

Can it not be changed for a future product update to accept both types? My gutt feel is that I can stick a 24VDC supply on there with a small chance of damage, I just don't know how tricky your AC/DC converter is on the inside. Also, if I do take the +24VAC from the garage door PSU's AC side, what is the upper limit the PAC can handle, I don't want to send 28VAC, or more, to it to find out it has blown up.

Thanks,
    Ingo

Ingo, Jul 15, 2010
  2. Ingo

Newman

The RS-232 power on the PAC requires a 24Vac connection only. This is used to generate +/- 12V rails for the RS-232 comms. Whilst hooking up a 24Vdc power supply may not fry things, it definitely won't work, since the negative voltage rail for RS-232 won't be established.

If powering the 24V side of the unit is a problem, you could consider powering the RS-232 circuitry over the RS-232 handshaking lines. You do this by using the DTR and RTS lines and putting one high and the other low. Page 7 of the Installation Instructions gives you the pin-outs.

Newman, Jul 15, 2010
  3. Ingo

Ingo

Thanks Newman, that -12V rail was the showstopper. The DTR/RTS was my next option to look at.

Ingo

Ingo, Jul 16, 2010
  4. Ingo

ashleigh Moderator

ashleigh, Jul 17, 2010
  5. Ingo

Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle, Jul 17, 2010
  6. Ingo

ashleigh Moderator

Oops, sorry Charles. I was looking at the AC one, must have picked the wrong link. :(

ashleigh, Jul 18, 2010
Ask a Question