240V GU10 on L5504D2A???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by discjockeyr, Nov 1, 2008.

1. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Hello everybody,

I know thay there are some threads regarding GU10 but i did no get any clear answer reading the threads. My question is, is it risky to use 240V GU10 on 1Amp or 2 Amps dimmers?
    I have connect actually 8x50W 240V GU10 halogens on a channel of L5504D2A and i would like ti know if this is a mistake. The reason that i have use mains halogen is because i was not able to find 12V tranformers in my country with input capacitance 22nF so with 8 trannis be below the acceptable 300nf.
    Waiting for your advice.
    Thanks in advance

discjockeyr, Nov 1, 2008
  2. discjockeyr

______.

It's fine to use the GU10 lamps on the any of the c-bus dimmers.

No mistake - you have 460W (because standard voltage is now 230V) per channel on the L5504D2A which means if you can go up to 9 x 50W lamps if you want. ;)

______., Nov 2, 2008
  3. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

hi,

I just wondering as some threads indicates that is dangerous for the dimmers to use GU10 as after a halogen burn may damage the dimmer. Is this something that may happen or is just a possibility in a million?
    Aslo i have notice that if the dimmer channel is not at 100% or 0% the dimmer buzzes little. Is this normal?

Thanks

discjockeyr, Nov 2, 2008
  4. discjockeyr

Matthew

GU10 on a dimmer

Hi discjockyr
    In theory a straight halogen (incandescant) load is the best, least complicated load for a dimmer. Yes lamps can spike the voltage when they fail, but you would think that a dimmer should be able to handle this. Halogen are available in ES, BC, G4 & GY6.35 so the Gu10 base should be irrelavent.

In my experience some dimmers hum, some don't and they do it as you experience in-between 1-100%, after all that is when they are "working" (dimmming that is, as 0%=off, 100%=on). Mine hum a little but never bothered me. Come to think of it the higher loaded channels (275w heat lamps) make more noise then the lower loaded channels (1 or 2 50w lights).
    Regards
    Matthew

Matthew, Nov 3, 2008
  5. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

Is anyone else out there that experience any problem with GU10 on a dimmer module?

discjockeyr, Nov 3, 2008
  6. discjockeyr

______.

Yes it is possible for the channel to be damaged when the globe dies, but as Matt has said the channel usually handles this. If your really worried about it then you should be using the L5504D2U (universial dimmers) as they have short circuit protection built into each channel.

______., Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question