2-way switching

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totalcon, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Totalcon

Totalcon

I'm hoping someone can help me with a small dilemma I have.
    I am relatively new to C-Bus so any information I could get would be a great help.
    I have a customer with a multi level home who unfortunately wanted only part C-Bus control to their house.
    To cut a long story short I am wondering how I can switch one end of a two switch with a DLT and a 4 channel relay.The other end is a standard 240volt Saturn switch.
    Obviously all I need is to use 2 contacts with the common bridged and when the DLT button is activated one contact needs to open and the other needs to close.
    Then when the DLT button is activated again the reverse needs to happen.
    I realise that I won't have neon functionality in this case so I will disable the neon for this button on the DLT.
    This DLT is required to be one end of two 240volt 2-way switches which is why I am using a 4 channel relay.
    Hopefully I have been clear enough with my explanation.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Totalcon, Apr 12, 2013
  2. Totalcon

Matthew

Hi totalcon
    You can't do it with a standard 4ch relay because it is just a NO contact, but you could physically do it with a changeover relay.
    Although the programming would be normal the LED indicator on the switch could be on when the lights are off.
    It would be sooooooooo much easier if you just change the switch at the other end to a Saturn C-bus type.

Matthew, Apr 12, 2013
  3. Totalcon

Graham Lamb

Or you could use a 4 ch changeover cbus relay it has no/nc contacts much easer to install another cbus switch

Graham Lamb, Apr 12, 2013
  4. Totalcon

Ashley

Create 2 scenes in the DLT. One scene closes one relay and opens the other, and the other scene does the opposite. Create a new trigger group and assign action selector 0 to one scene and action selector 255 to the other. On the DLT button, select Trigger as the secondary application, toggle as the function, and the new trigger group as the group. Each press of the button will alternate between the 2 action selectors and hence swap between the 2 scenes.

Ashley, Apr 12, 2013
  5. Totalcon

bmerrick

Hi Totalcon,

The other guys have some good ideas to consider (love yours Ashley!! Gonna use that one myself for something else) but just adding a few more options you may consider.

On the 240V Saturn switchplate, you could add a C-Bus Bus Coupler in behind the switchplate turning the switch into a C-Bus element. Use the C-Bus relay (or dimmer) then to just control the load/light as normal and the bus coupler can be switched by the Saturn 240v mech switch.

Alternatively as suggested a changeover relay as part of a standard two way switching configuration would be quite standard and obvious for future support. If you are using two poles of a standard relay you might consider using the interlocking configuration so only one of the two relays can be on at the same time. The two single relay elements used to emulate a changeover switch would be harder for a future support sparky to understand how it was configured / what was happening and so is IMHO not ideal.

I posted last night "If it was me, I would probably run a 'mixed' switchplate at the 240v end using the Clipsal 30 series C-Bus mechanism with whatever else is on that switchplate. Once again, use a normal C-Bus relay/dimmer to switch the load/light. " but thinking on it again during the night (dreaming about C-Bus is just sick!!!) I would now try to achieve it as below if possible.

In the case that the 'standard wiring' is running the loads attached to the 240V Saturn switchplate, depending on how many loads are run only from that point and whether they are relays or dimmers, you could actually replace the Saturn 240v switch with its Clipsal Wireless C-Bus version ie a 4 or 6 button Saturn Wireless C-Bus wall switch with either 1 or 2 relays or dimmers internal. Put a C-Bus Wireless gateway on the C-Bus network within range and then the loads (up to 2) at that point become C-Bus enabled loads and the switch buttons become active C-Bus buttons you can do whatever you want with.

You can run the 2 way switched load from either a standard C-Bus relay or the new wireless C-Bus plate if you have enough dimmers/relays channels. The nice positive side of this configuration (if there are enough relays/dimmers to run all the loads at the current 240v plate) is the customer now has an easy path forward to add some more C-Bus controlled loads to his/her house. I am sure there are certain lights that they really wanted to be C-Bus controlled and are disappointed they are not. This approach will give them the ability to expand out the C-Bus to other rooms and areas using the current 'standard wiring'. Also gives the very cool flexibility of being able to use a handheld C-Bus remote in areas like outdoors, the lounge or home theatre room etc and the even cooler ability to add the Clipsal C-Bus 'Free-locate' C-Bus wireless Saturn switchplates (2 button and 5 Button) where-ever the client 'wanted' a switch but the house plans didn't put one. You can also use the plug in relays and dimmers for table lamps, floor lamps and appliances etc under C-Bus control.

This approach gives you a lot of future potential to help the client expand his home control offering and makes you look a wizard at the same time.

Just some more options,

All the best,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
    bmerrick, Apr 12, 2013
Ask a Question