12CH Relay with Orange Toggle Buttons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alepore, Oct 13, 2015.

1. alepore

alepore

Hi all,

Has anyone ever come across a 12CH Relay with orange indicators?

After a storm I have a relay that has all channels locked on, toggle buttons not working and orange indicators.

I'm suspecting a power surge or something along those lines has caused this. The home has no surge protection in place.

Relay is spitting out 15v DC so the power supply appears to have been impacted too.

alepore, Oct 13, 2015
  2. alepore

Robbo_VIC

Could be the "Remote ON" feature. Some of your cabling might have been damaged. If you remove the Pink cable are you able to turn channels on/off using the local toggle

Robbo_VIC, Oct 14, 2015
  3. alepore

alepore

Yea, tried that, nah everything is just locked on, toggles not responsive

Also when the relay is connected to the Cbus network it really impacts the Cbus scan, when I disconnect it from Cbus the scans as nice and clean as it should be normally.

alepore, Oct 14, 2015
  4. alepore

Robbo_VIC

If that is the case, and you still can't toggle channels while unplugged from the cbus network then it would point to faulty unit.

Robbo_VIC, Oct 15, 2015
  5. alepore

Conformist

Orange indicators are for C-Bus devices that don't provide C-Bus power to the network.
    Green indicators are for devices that do provide C-Bus power to the network

Conformist, Oct 16, 2015
  6. alepore

alepore

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post

The unit and Cbus indicator are normal - green colour

The toggle buttons are orange in colour and all locked on, cannot press them off. I have never seen orange toggle buttons on a relay....I think the storm has fried it. When I return to site, I'll take a photo and put it up.

Thanks for your input guys.

alepore, Oct 16, 2015
  7. alepore

Ashley

If you have never seen orange toggle buttons you have never seen a relay with no inbuilt power supply :)

As Conformist says. Relays (and dimmers) without inbuilt power supplies have orange Toggle button. Those with inbuilt power supplies have green toggle buttons.

Anyway, no amount of frying is going to turn a green led into an orange led!

When you say the relay is spitting out 15V DC do you mean the CBUS line voltage is 15Vdc? Is that with it connected to the network or isolated?

Ashley, Oct 17, 2015
  8. alepore

NickD Moderator

This is not entirely correct.

In general, the orange indicators are on bus-powered devices.

The green indicators are on devices which have a 240V connection, but they are the green regardless of whether they have the inbuilt power supplies or not.

The same control board is used on all the DIN rail relays and dimmers.. the channel indicators are bi-colour to support the universal dimmer channel mode indication.

If you have a relay where the indicators are coming on orange then something has definitely gone wrong and you should replace the unit.

Nick

NickD, Oct 19, 2015
Ask a Question