10 Amp 12 Channel Voltage Free Relay.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, Oct 21, 2009.

1. industeq

industeq

In question about the relay and if different voltages can be switched / tied in the contacts or is it a practice to keep all the same contacts the same potential as the supply on the ?L? terminal?

I have a 120VAC module and the ?L? terminal attached to a 10 amp breaker then from the "L" it is jumpered over to each 1,2,3,4,5,6 terminal. I then have on the same 120VAC phase a 2nd 10 amp breaker supplying to the relay contacts terminal of 7,8,9,10 to even out the load.

Now I want to use the un-used terminal 11,12 to switch 12VDC to power some fused low voltage lights, can this be done safely.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc.

industeq, Oct 21, 2009
  2. industeq

Darpa

Not sure about in the states, but you'd have a bitch of a time meeting segregation requirements here doing that.

So, in short, it can be done, but safely is another question entirely.

Isn't it possible to run 120vAC to the 2 final channels, and then run 120v-12v transformers after the relay?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
    Darpa, Oct 21, 2009
  3. industeq

Newman

Mixing 120V and 12V on the same relay unit is not a good idea. As darpa says, making sure that there is appropriate segregation is a pain. You're also completely dependent on the internal segregation of the relay unit to provide the necessary isolation between 120V and 12V. The C-Bus network is isolated from mains by 3.75KV which is fine, but I can't remember what the channel-to-channel isolation rating is, off the top of my head.

You might like to consider one of the new 8-channel ELV relay units instead, which can switch 30V ac/dc at 2A and, at least in Australia, are very cost effective.

Newman, Oct 21, 2009
  4. industeq

znelbok

What is the part number for this ELV relay - I cant find it on the CIS web site

Mick

znelbok, Oct 22, 2009
  5. industeq

Newman

Newman, Oct 22, 2009
  6. industeq

industeq

industeq, Oct 22, 2009
  7. industeq

Newman

Looking at the hardware, there is sufficient adjacent channel separation, both physical and electrical, to have 240V and 12V on adjacent channels, at least in Australia.

The issue, as I see it, would be one of meeting the necessary wiring rules and regulations regarding segregation. Given that there is no external clamp on the wires coming into the unit, other than the terminal itself, there would be a risk that a loose wire could come out and touch another one.

If you can come up with a way of doing it that meets your wiring rules over there, the unit itself will meet the isolation requirements.

Newman, Oct 22, 2009
Ask a Question