1 Channel Relay Question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by paulwat, Jul 7, 2015.

1. paulwat

paulwat

Hi all,

I have a potential application for a 1 channel (5101R) relay however I have some questions.

1. Can the relay be located in a ceiling void? I am based in the UK and having checked I can't see anything obvious in the wiring regs that precludes it.

Currently there are 2 lights attached to a dimmer channel and I have no way to rewire things to split them over two dimmer channels so I have come up with the idea to insert the relay between the two lights.

Handily a CBUS cable is local to where the relay would go as it feeds a ceiling sensor.

Light no1 is a picture light, light no 2 is a standard ceiling light and currently the electrical circuit is Light no1 feeding Light no2.

The goal is to have the following behaviour
    a.) picture light comes on at 50% at dusk and goes off at midnight
    b.) When ceiling lights are activated by switch or motion sensor the picture light is brought to 100% and ceiling is enabled via the relay and comes on at 100%.

2. Will the relay get upset at the dimmer being at 50% whilst it is in the off state? As far as I can tell the relay is powered from the mains and not the Cbus so I am concerned if this will cause a problem?

Any thoughts or advice welcomed.

Regards

Paul

paulwat, Jul 7, 2015
  2. paulwat

conor1

Hi paul ,
    Relay should be fine in ceiling void I would fix to non combustible surface and make sure 230v connections are concealed , maybe better to enclose in suitable enclosure if possible , would be better if you could pickup a permanent 230v supply for relay and not worry about dimmer as I think if I'm correct this will prove to be an issue .

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Conor

conor1, Jul 7, 2015
Ask a Question