C-Bus Forums  

Go Back   C-Bus Forums > General > General Discussion

The C-Bus Community Forums is place where C-Bus users can share information and help others with C-Bus. From time to time you will see Clipsal staff on the forums, but this is not an official support channel. If you really need help contact the official support services of Clipsal. More information about the purpose of this forum is available here.

Old 26 Jul 11, 08:25 AM

Default Measurement Application and Homegate

I am trying to read temperature and Humidity values from a aqutek Th-10 "http://aqutek.asia/downloads/th-10.pdf" using General Input Unit 5504GI (version 4.3.00), the sensor provide values using 4-20ma loop. I have used
the following steps to get the values into Homegate:

The sensor is connected to channel 2 on the GIM and when I select the show current level I get some values.

The Hysteresis is 1% and I have enabled the broadcasting on the Measurement Application and can see the broadcast in the application log as follows:

DateTime= 7/25/2011 8:56:44 PM App= 228 Measurement Group= 004 Unit= 003 PC_GIM/GGINPUT Event= Device 4, Unit 3, Channel 1 - Value: 3.3e-2 Amps

In Homegate
Select Project->C-Bus Applications->Measurement Manager
Click Add
Name = Temperature
Network = Main
Device ID = 3 PC-GIM
Channel = 1 (channel 2 of General input Unit /Temperature Sensor Channel
Unit = oC [grayed]
Click OK
[No Current Value show in the Measurement Application Manager]

I go to the Temperature Page and follow these steps:

Component
Place Tool
Category = Measurement App
Function = Real Value
Channel = Temperature
I get 0.0

I also tried
Component
Place Level Indicator
Select System IO tab
Key Function = Status
System IO Variable, In-built = Measurement App Real Value
Value = 0 [grayed]
Channel = Temperature

Again I get 0.0

I have tried the same using PICED with the same results

And yes the Homegate is connected to the C-Bus, with green bar in the status bar

What am I missing?
Old 26 Jul 11, 09:05 AM

Connect to C-Bus using the Diagnostic Utility and confirm that the messages you're getting from the GIM are actually what you are expecting. That will help isolate whether it's the configuration of Homegate or the PC_GIM that needs to change.
Old 26 Jul 11, 10:18 AM

Do you see the messages in the HomeGate log?

Darren
Old 26 Jul 11, 11:18 AM

I believe that the problem is caused by confusion between Device Id and Unit Address.

You have the unit (unit address 3) set to use Device Id 4, but in PICED, you have selected Device Id 3. In older versions of PICED, the Unit Types were listed in the Device Id drop-down list because people usually used Device Id = Unit Address. We decided that this was misleading (and has probably confused you in this case), so it was changed recently.

In PICED, change the Device Id to 4 and it should work.

Darren
Old 27 Jul 11, 05:34 AM

Thank you Newman and Darren for the responses, and you are right Darren it is the Device ID, and you are right again that it is confusing, as I have a multi-sensor at address 4 and when I open the drop down list in the Measurement Application it says “4 SENPILL” so I never thought to select it. So I have changed the device Id to 3 in the toolkit and I am getting some numbers.

Now I need to convert the values from the GIM to real-world values and again I need some help. According to the sensor manual 0 degrees is 4mA and 50 degrees is 20mA; the GIM reports 26104 (34%) using the Show Current Level when the temperature is 29.8 degrees. What is the best way to convert the 26104 to 29.8?

I have noticed that the scaling offset keeps going back to 4; is this a bug or it has to be 4?

Thank you again both for your support.
Old 27 Jul 11, 09:20 AM

Don't pay too much attention to the Show Current Level in Toolkit initially. You're better off configuring the unit to broadcast messages regularly and looking at them in the PICED log or using the Diagnostic Utility.

You should see messages on C-Bus that are all nicely formatted and scaled, according to the settings in the PC_GIM.